Today Australian television “personality” Tracy Spicer wrote an article about her children on planes.
If I were to boil it down to its component parts I would say that the headline should read.
“All men are paedophiles: Run”
Spicer doesn’t want her children sitting next to men on planes when they are flying unaccompanied because men=paedophiles.
What all men look like to Tracy Spicer
Spice acknowledged that this is sexist (although not that this is also a disgusting way of feeding into a culture of hysteria that men who are around or have children have to wade through every day) and takes her cues from the Australian bureau of statistics who say that although 90% of abuse is committed by family members but only 8% of paedophilia is committed by women. So women are safe to sit next to on long haul flights. She also manages to list ONE, I repeat ONE example of child abuse on a plane which was on an American Northwest flight in the late 90’s.
A few things occurred to me as I read this article.
- My blood pressure probably needs to be checked. Is it normal to go red in the face after reading something that wasn’t contained in the Herald Sun?
- This is someone giving me what I want for the wrong reasons. My desire to sit next to a child that is not my own in a situation that I cannot escape from is only slightly higher than my desire to talk to Tracy Spicer for any length of time. I would rather chug cold vomit.
- Who sends their children on a long haul flight unattended? Maybe the best solution is NOT TO DO THIS.
- Where does this leave male flight attendants? Does the fact that they are all gay make this better or worse?
- If 90% of abuse is committed by a family member surely the solution is to keep them away from family members at all times? Perhaps this is why they are on long haul flights unattended in the first place. Maybe they are riding the skyways where the family can’t find them on stolen frequent flyer points till they reach their majority and can come home.
- Tracey asks the question: But it remains a conundrum: How do we encourage a sense of adventure while ensuring their safety?
Give them a sword and teach them how to use it. Then they can sit next to whomever they like on a plane and everyone will be happier, you, your kids and the person they are sitting next to who at least will have a more interesting child to talk to.
“So, you have a sword?”
“Is that to keep away the pedos?”
“Killed any yet?”
- This is exactly why there are fewer and fewer male teachers each year. *shakes head in shame*
- The statistics on death say that your chances of dying whilst falling down are 1-in-246 lets ban stairs!
Sadly there was no “Age Poll” at the end of the article asking “Should Tracy Spicer be shunned from society for her inflammatory views?”
In future I will try not to read any more articles from Tracy Spicer or any of the “personalities” that the paper give opinion time to just because…..actually I’m not sure why they are allowed to write articles. Sure not all of them are outrageously sexist bigots who don’t have two brain cells to rub together….but why take that chance?
If you want to see what she wote it’s here.
Oh and if your looking for facts and figures and such on this issue and a more balanced (and possibly saner perspective) you can try: